Friday, August 1, 2008

Deceptively Delicious...So Far So Good!

Thanks to Jas's mom, I'm now the proud owner of the Deceptively Delicious cookbook that I wanted. I bought ingredients to make four of the recipes today at the store, and this evening I made grilled cheese sandwiches with pureed squash. Results:

Mason (6) was suspicious the minute I bought baby food at the store. I'm not investing in a food processor until I'm sure we like the recipes - so I used baby food for the purees. When we got home, and I put the baby food squash in a bowl, Mason said, "Whatever that is, I'm not eating it." I managed to come up with a convincing "white lie," and he actually bought it. He LOVED the grilled cheese sandwich and asked for seconds. He claims to hate squash, but he just ate about 1/4 cup of it in his sandwich.

Carter (2 and 1/2), ironically enough, wanted to eat the squash out of the container. I think he thought it was pudding or yogurt because it was in one of the plastic containers. So I gave him a spoon and let him go to town. He ate half of it and never complained that it didn't taste like pudding. He wasn't thrilled about his sandwich - mainly because he isn't thrilled about anything I put on a plate and call a "meal." He did eat some of it, though, when I told him he couldn't have dessert until he ate his supper. That threat usually doesn't work with him, so he must have liked the sandwich. That's the most veggies the poor kid has had in one day since he started eating solid food.

Tomorrow night: Spaghetti Pie (with brocolli and carrot purees)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You are so good! I checked out that book and returned it without reading much - seemed like a lot of work ;) I hope they keep liking it!!

Dawn said...

My bf bought this book for my birthday back in Dec. Sadly I have yet to use it.

I did, however, make a meatloaf that has zucchini in it the other night. It was actually very good. I'm not sure if the recipe came from that book or not. I got it from a friend.

I'm glad your meals are going over well with the kids. That's what's most important! :)

Tisha said...

Angela,

Could you maybe email me the sandwhich recipe??? Bree doesn't do veggies either, so if I can trick her that would be good. thayes82@YAHOO.COM

Anonymous said...

I am not sure how I found your page, but Mason’s story is amazing. I have a 3 year old son that was diagnosed with asthma in February of this year. Since then, his is on a lot of medicine almost identical to the list you have on your web page. I was not responding to the meds so I took him back to the allergist and he has referred me to an ear nose and throat doctor. My appt is on August 27th I am thinking they are going to want to remove his adenoids and tonsils but I am not sure. They stories are to similar. I will pray that everything stays well with you and your family and after reading your story I must have his heart checked because even when he was born I thought something was not right. Thank you for sharing you story and God Bless.