Saturday, March 29, 2008

Writer...Interrupted...

...is the title of the blog and web community created by one of the girls from the writers' group I'm a part of - or will be a part of when I get around to officially joining. I love the title because it sums me up in two words. Of course, my interruptions are also blessings and just a part of everyday life, but they definitely keep me from writing my novels. I've been so busy doing freelance assignments and taking care of kids (and cooking, cleaning, doing laundry, etc.) that I haven't worked on my WIP (fancy writer's lingo for work in progress) in months. I've been psycho-analyzing myself today, though, and I think there are other reasons why I haven't been writing. Here they are.
  • I'm not very good at being my own boss. I don't listen to myself or follow my directions at all. I may need to hire someone to boss me around and make me get busy on my novel (no volunteers, please).
  • I'd rather start new novels than persevere and finish the old ones. I'm on chapter 6 of Sea Billows (title in progress), and I'm fighting the urge to abandon it and start one of five other story ideas I have in my idea book.
  • I'm overwhelmed by the very intimidating writing/publishing world. Most of this is just fear of the unknown, and it's getting better as I am around other authors more. At least I figured out what WIP means - it's a start.
  • I'm afraid that I'm wasting my time writing novels. I really love doing it, but that's part of the problem. I feel this weird "mom guilt" about spending my time doing things I like to do. I'm actually getting teary while I'm writing this. I may need to contact Dr. Phil about this one.
  • I'm terrified about the prospect of actually trying to get a novel published. I think I'm one of those people that doesn't try anything unless I'm pretty sure I'll succeed, and I have very little confidence about getting a book published.

Okay, so the list basically boils down to laziness and fear - two things specifically addressed in the Bible. Good thing I have one of those handy!

http://www.writerinterrupted.com/

wannabepublished.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Gina Conroy said...

Sounds like you fit the Writer...Interrupted profile!