Thursday, March 13, 2008

Great News

It looks like we'll be discharged tomorrow. We had planned to stay until Sunday, so this is a nice surprise! Mason turned a corner this morning, and he's been a new 'man' ever since. When we wet for his echo cardiogram this morning, he realized that he was completely unhooked and could walk around. He does still have the monitor wires on his chest, but they gave him a little portable monitor to wear around his neck. He immediately announced that he was going to the gift shop to spend his money. He earned a dollar for each small procedure (x-rays, blood work, echos, etc.) and $20 for the surgery. His echo tech thought that was funny when he saw us give Mason a dollar on Monday after his echo, so he had a dollar waiting on Mason's pillow in the exam room when we went in for the echo this morning. So nice!

I forgot to say yesterday that Mason told me the doctors and nurses were trying to kill him. They kept taking off the dressing over his chest tube hole, and he didn't think they needed to do that anymore. When the nurse left, he told me that the doctors and nurses thought they knew what they were doing, but they really didn't. When I told him that they were trying to help him, he said very emphatically, "They're NOT trying to help me, they're trying to kill me." He wasn't very happy with me when I laughed. He's been very friendly and talkative with everyone today, though, although he thinks they should just let us go home today if we're going home tomorrow anyway. I know he's back to normal when he's being bossy and opinionated. Gotta' go - people waiting for a computer in this lab.

No comments: