Monday, August 20, 2007

Laverne, Shirley, and Me

Any mom will tell you that sleep deprivation goes with the territory for the first few years (it better not last more than a few years). Every time I think I'm going to cry because I'm so tired, I think of the Laverne and Shirley episode when they signed up for a sleep deprivation study to get cash for an expensive party (where they hoped to meet and marry rich doctors, of course). It was so funny to watch when I was a kid, but I thought it was an exaggeration. It wasn't - you really do stupid things and fall asleep spontaneously when you don't get to sleep at night. Carter has actually slept better the past couple of nights, but Mason has made up for that by waking up sick. Breathing treatments at 2:00 a.m., medicine at 4:00, etc. Of course, it doesn't help that I'm a sucker for 'movie night' on weekends that inevitably lasts until at least midnight. Those are the nights the kids wake up the most and let me sleep the least. You'd think I'd learn my lesson. Just for the record, Mason is home from school again today. He's missed as many days as he's attended - but we have a doctor's note, by golly!

No comments: