- There are very few facts and a million opinions that may or may not help.
- Everyone agrees that constant combing and picking is essential. Nice.
- You have to kill the live bugs first, then wait a week for their eggs to hatch before the second treatment.
- Pesticide treatments like Rid are creating a resistant breed, making it harder to kill them.
- Coconut oil and tea tree oil treatments might work just as well, but you have to sleep with it on your head ever night with a shower cap. Good luck getting my boys to do that!
- Washing bedding is important, but carpets are safe because the bugs die after a few hours without a head to feed on. Lovely.
- I washed everything that would fit in the washer and dried everything else...or put it in big bags. I'm not taking any chances.
- After our first Rid shampoo treatment, I combed and picked everyone's hair for HOURS. I kept them home from school to comb and pick a second day. The third and fourth days I only found a few nits. I plan to do the second Rid treatment on the 7th day. Like I said...I'm not taking any chances!
- I will wash everyone's hair with tea tree oil everyday for the rest of my life...or until I forget what a nightmare this lice event has been.
Friday, September 6, 2013