Friday, January 18, 2008

Corporate Saga

You'll never believe who called me this morning. An executive from AT&T -from the CEO's office. I have never been so shocked in my life. I've been battling AT&T customer service reps over the phone for months trying to get them to honor their promise of 6 months free Dish Network service. Months of conflicting information, being transferred from one agent to another, and listening to Frosty the Snowman while on hold - OH, and being hung up on! It has been a NIGHTMARE, to say the least. At some point I quit caring about the money and started pursuing it for the justice factor - they shouldn't be able to make promises and not follow through with them. I reached a boiling point yesterday after talking to the supervisor of the reward center, who told me that I had cancelled out my 6 months free offer by accepting a one-time $50 cash offer (which I ONLY accepted because another agent told me I had to in order for my 6 months free offer to show up in the website). I decided it was good old fashioned corporate fraud and contacted the FCC and local news Problem Solvers team.

Then I did the one thing I was sure wouldn't work. I emailed the CEO, Randall Stephenson, and asked for his help. I found his email address on the blog of another person who had a similar experience with AT&T customer service (I found several similar stories on the internet, actually). I was so sure no one would read the 5-paragraph message that I didn't proofread it very well - now I wish I had. Oh well. I'm just glad someone read it and took me seriously. The exec. I talked to didn't make any promises, but she said someone would investigate my case. She even gave me her full name and direct phone number. Wow! We'll see what happens.

No comments: