Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Just Call Me George



I have to admit that I had a few George Bailey moments this weekend. I haven't been close to jumping in a river, but I have thrown a few "pity party" temper fits because things aren't going my way. And I might have snapped at my kids a few more times than they deserved. So God decided to put It's a Wonderful Life on my TV today. I've never watched it as an adult, and I don't even think I've watched it from beginning to end. Here are some things I noticed:
  • George's friends and family prayed for him at the beginning - maybe the last time that sincere prayers were included in a Hollywood movie.

  • There were some risque innuendos - like the man who decided he needed to go home to see his wife after watching a blond bombshell walk down the street.

  • The black housekeeper was treated like a precocious child - and sexually harassed by the younger brother.

  • Young George's boss beat him, causing his ears to bleed, and still remained his boss - not sent to jail.

  • Alcoholics were funny and smokers were cool.

  • The teenagers looked more like 40 somethings, and their parents looked like they should be in a nursing home.

Okay, so I might have missed the intended point of the movie. I did take the hint, though, and decided to find ways to solve the problems that have really been eating at me. The main issue is the unorganized state of my house, which leads to maddening searches for keys, shoes, coats, etc. several times a day. So I started the quest for organization today by straightening my desk and hanging a key rack. That's not going to help me keep Carter from losing his shoes, but it's a start. Maybe by the new year I'll have the entire house and both cars organized from top to bottom - like that Kate chic with 8 kids. If she can do it with 8, surely I can do it with 2...right?

No comments: