Saturday, August 23, 2008

6-Pack Abs in the Renaissance?


I'd like to believe that Henry VIII looked like this at some point before he posed for his famous portrait (in which he appears much more portly). But somehow I have a hard time imagining His Majesty doing crunches and weight training in his quarters at the Tower of London. I've been there, and I didn't see a fitness center anywhere on the map. I loved The Other Bolyn Girl, though, and I'm glad they chose a hottie to play Henry - makes a much more interesting story. I've always liked Scarlett Johansson, and she did a great job playing the sweet sister of the movie. Of course, all she had to do was stand there and look bewildered most of the time, but she has a very believable bewildered look (see pic below). I also liked Natalie Portman as Anne Bolyn, but there was something about her that reminded me of Gone with the Wind. Maybe it was the enormous, green dress. I'm glad they didn't end the movie with the inevitable beheading that goes along with every movie about Tudor England (like my other favorite historical drama Lady Jane). I like a director that can take a tragic story and wrap it up with a nice, neat bow for a happy ending.

Unrelated side note: We're still in danger of becoming homeless in two weeks, but I'd rather blog about people who had bigger problems in life...like the possibility of being decapitated.








5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness - good luck! We have a spare bedroom if you need it!!

Unknown said...

Oohh it's been so long since Lady Jane! How many times did we watch that on VHS?

Unknown said...

By the way, it's Luisa not Joseph that posted the Lady Jane comment, I'm using his computer!

Mrs. Trent said...

Yeah - I think we need to whip out the Lady Jane tape the next time we get together. Did you know Becky and I convinced one of our history teachers (she remembers which one - I never do) to show that in class? I guess we forgot about the nude scene :0

MLT said...

I remember that!