Sunday, June 22, 2008

A Day for Me

I had the rare opportunity to spend the entire day Saturday doing something for myself. I went to a writer's conference to hear Deb Raney, a Christian fiction author, speak. It was from 9:00 to 4:00, and I assured Jas as I walked out the door that I wouldn't dream of staying the whole time. I think he got really excited when I called at 9:05 to say I was lost and thinking about just turning around and coming home. He tried not to sound disappointed at 9:10 when I called to say I had found the place.

Deb Raney was speaking words from God directly to me. I'm sure I'm not the only one that felt that way, and there's nothing supernatural about Deb. But every word that came out of her mouth was an answer to a question, concern, doubt, or worry that I've had about becoming a fiction author. It turns out that I'm not the only person to have confidence issues with my writing - it's apparently fairly common. I was just about to drop the WIP I've been working on for over a year (I use the term "working on" very loosely - more like "sitting on") and start another book based on an idea I'm more excited about. This conference not only changed my mind, but it got me excited about Maggie, Clay, and Graham. You'll have to read the book to find out who they are. Hint: one of them doesn't make it past the first chapter.

Even my lunch was interesting. I went by myself for the first time in...I have no idea how long...and I almost pulled into McDonald's! That's how brainwashed I am. I came to my senses and drove to Panera Bread instead. I watched people and eavesdropped on conversations for almost an hour. No chasing toddlers, no arguing about why we're eating at Panera instead of Chic-fil-A, no leaving my food on the table to take anyone to the bathroom - just hoping the bus boy doesn't throw away my lunch. It was thoroughly enjoyable. Oh, and Jas, Mason, and Carter all survived.

Touching Side Notes:
Deb Raney's story about her husband's grandparents is so sweet. I love the part when the grandmother visits her husband in the nursing home and flirts with him - because he has Alzheimer's and doesn't remember her. Grab a tissue if you decide to read it.

A sweet lady lady in our church passed away in Peru while she was on a mission trip last week. It was a terrible ordeal for the rest of the mission team - they're still grieving. But Ms. Mola is in Heaven rejoicing today. What a way to go - leading people to the Lord on the foreign mission field at age 86!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You know I am dying to read your book so you have to finish it!! It is my dream to write a book, but will never happen - please live my dream for me ;) I know you can do it!

LOL about eating alone - that was my fave part of jury duty a few weeks ago...grown up lunches!!

I am sorry about the death on the mission trip. That would be so hard :(

I got your note about meeting up - we really need to pick a date before the summer is gone like last year!

Dawn said...

I love Deb Raney! How exciting you got to listen to her all day long!
I'm glad you found that extra encouragement that you needed.

Looking forward to reading your book in the future!