Monday, June 9, 2008

Amen!

I just ran across an article on Yahoo called 12 New 'Necessities' That Drain Your Cash. This paragraph is the gospel truth if I ever heard it:

Childhood Parties
If you don't have kids, you probably can't appreciate how out-of-control children's birthday parties have become.
"Every kid has to have a bouncy house for their birthday," says Hunt, who lives in Southern California. "It's not enough to have just a cake; you have to have a meal. And now you have to invite the parents."
Hunt adds that such celebrations no longer are restricted to "big" birthdays, but occur every year.
"And they celebrate graduations, from preschool, for kindergarten, for elementary, junior high," she says. "When they get to be teens, the whole group has to go somewhere. By the time you graduate high school, now you go to Aruba."
Young parents, you've been warned.


I thought I was the only one who was appalled by the amount of money people spend on kids' birthday parties - and presents for that matter. I've started to give into the trend out of pure peer pressure, but this article has motivated me to stick to my guns. I've already paid the fee to rent the community pool for Mason's birthday in July, but that's it. After this year we're going back to the basics with parties. Thank you Jay McDonald for writing this!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Three cheers for Jay McDonald. A swimming party - wow. Unfortunately,
that week-end is my last one for class. I cannot miss any classes and get credit. Boo hoo! Mom

Unknown said...

We are the loserest (new word, I think it is appropriate here) parents out there with the birthday parties. I just can't let myself shell out the cash for a big deal when my kids don't say 2 words when others are around. I figure I have a few more years until they start insisting ;)

Dawn said...

I agree, IT'S INSANE!! I try to keep them as low key as possible AFTER the first birthday! lol

The first birthday is always a big deal! I think Camryn had like 30 people here for her party! Plus, Leslie was there to take pictures of her eating her birthday cake! It was quite a production! LOL

What I find crazy is how much we spend on paper products AND gift bags for the guests! Ack!