Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Deep Thoughts (sort of)

Earlier today I was looking at a website that offers, among other things, a spell-casting service. It was a site I was supposed to review for a client, but I opted to politely decline. Anyway, it struck me that the witches and warlocks (who are completely serious, by the way - some even Wicccan) were all offering spells to "get what you want." Want to get a new job, win the lottery, afflict your ex-boyfriend with some terrible disease? They have a spell for that (no money-back guarantees, though). I've always said that Satan is very unoriginal, and this is further proof of that. His big lie is that getting what you want will make you happy. Isn't it interesting that God's truth is exactly the opposite of this? If we exchange our petty desires for God's will, we find true peace, joy, and happiness. Maybe I'll get brave and PM that to a few witches on that website (probably not, but you never know...)

On a completely different subject, I realized today why women haven't historically been involved in politics. I had to do a Google search to find out who Ron Paul was when I saw several bumper stickers with his name and the words 'President 2008.' I thought it was that cross-dresser from the 90s, so I was very confused. But then I realized that I was thinking of Ru Paul. Anyway, I was embarrassed to be so clueless, but then it hit me. I've been too busy with real life to follow the political scene very closely - even if it is an election year. I know about Obama's pastor, Hillary's ratings problems, and McCain's...well, I know he's running for president. But other than quick media soundbites that I catch in passing (when Diego and Elmo aren't on TV), I don't know much. So, my theory is that women throughout history have always been too busy taking care of kids, cooking, cleaning, milking cows, darning socks, etc. to pay much attention to politics. I'm sure there were very intelligent women who didn't recognize George Washington's name when he was nominated for president. Now that he's on a quarter, he's easier to recognize.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

Angela, I love and admire your tenderness for the Lord and your seeking His Face in all that you do. I am so blessed to have you as a daughter-in-law.