Monday, November 26, 2007

The Gift of Giving

We've decided to make our family Christmas celebrations more about the true miracle of God's ultimate gift to us - Jesus Christ - and less about Santa. Easier said than done. This was my conversation with Mason during his bath tonight.


Mom: Santa is a fun story, but do you know the real reason we celebrate Christmas?

Mason: Jesus.

Mom: That's right! God gave us the best gift we'll ever receive when he came to earth as a baby so that we can live in Heaven with him forever someday. That's what really makes Christmas special.

Mason: So who gives us presents?

Mom: People who love you give you presents because it's fun to think of what someone might like and give it to them. Maybe you could think of something to give someone this Christmas to make them happy.

Mason: I could get myself a new electric train.

Mom: But that wouldn't be a gift. You have to give something to someone else for it to be a gift.

Mason: Well then, I could give my old electric train to someone and then get myself a new one.

We'll try again next Christmas.

No comments: